© All rights reserved – by Walrus62
Chambers Pillar was shaped from sandstone deposited and worn down over 350 million years. It was an necessary landmark guiding the area’s earliest pioneers on their means from Adelaide to Alice Springs. John MacDouall Stuart first recorded the pillar in 1860 and named it after James Chambers, one among his South Australian sponsors.
The native Aboriginal folks consider that the pillar is the Gecko ancestor Itirkawara. Banished for taking a spouse from the improper pores and skin group, he retreated into the desert. After they stopped to relaxation they became outstanding rocky formations – Itirkawara into the pillar, and the lady into Citadel Rock, 500m to the north-east.
Positioned 160 kilometres South of Alice Springs, within the Simpson Desert. 50 Metres in top.